Sunday, May 26, 2013

Bass advice from Mick in The Tackle Shop



One of the R's was in here asking about you the other day, says Mick in The Tackle Shop. Wanted to know if you've caught any bass yet. Not yet, I reply.

MiTTS runs through the growing roll call of local anglers who've been catching bass five minutes' walk from my house. They're not catching them on lures mind, he adds, opening the door of the fridge behind the counter.

Peelers, that's what they're getting 'em on. At 80p a pop, I politely decline, shelling out for yet another lure instead. I'm determined I'm going to catch one on a lure. Apart from the fact I was pretty useless sea fishing with the bait gear now gathering dust in my study, I never really enjoyed it.

Blast a couple of baits out until either the crabs stripped them or you caught a flattie. Spend hours before every trip tying rigs. No thanks - been there, tried that.

In contrast I'm now enjoying sea fishing in a way I never did when I lived on the other side of the country 20 years ago and did catch plenty of bass. I can't remember the last time I went fishing and didn't learn something, for starters.

I'm also enjoying solving the problems it throws up. The biggest one, which I've now got to grips with, being how to get my lures out a decent distance, so I at least stand a chance of catching one. Having arrived at what looks to be more of less the right set-up, it's surely only a matter of time.

I could just head five miles down the road, sit by a lake with a float or feeder rod and enjoy what is relatively easy fishing for carp, tench and bream. Buy the right stuff, fish the right pegs and catch. Where's the challenge in that..?

MiTTS offers more sage advice on tracking down the bass. Watch the sea birds, fish where they're diving. It's a bit early for lures, but when they're on 'em, it's electric. I'm happy to bide my time 'till then - probably because I'll be so chuffed when I actually catch something.   

No comments:

Post a Comment