Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Decisions, decisions

My weather wotsit reckons the temps are going to be down to low double figures tomorrow. I like the sound of that. Where to go's the obvious question.

Both places I fancy are a fair old stomp. One's the best part of a mile, the other can't be much less than that.

But both probably haven't been fished since one or two of us gave them a tickle last winter. And if I cut the gear down, the walk's no real problem and I can swim hop back towards civilisation.

I may even force myself out of my comfort zone, leave the bait rods at home and lure fish. Then again I might just plot up somewhere and sit it out behind the deads.

My rough stats tally says I've fished around 14 hours so far without catching a pike.  This doesn't worry me unduly, bearing in mind how many hours I've probably spent not catching pike over the last few seasons.

What interests me, looking ahead, is how to get the most bang for my buck when it comes to bigger fish within the radius I can now afford to travel, as diesel prices move closer to the £1.50 a litre mark in rural Norfolk.

I know one or two people who no longer fish for pike because it's "too expensive". Getting there's now a far bigger outlay than bait, tackle and the cost of things like licenses, club cards etc over the course of a season for me.

Weighing up tomorrow's prospects, I can get there and back on a tenner's worth as long as I don't cane it.

Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment