Thursday, July 05, 2012

Guru leads are worth a look for pike fishing

These are the leads I was on about. I've been fishing long enough to treat claims about special this, special that with a degree of scepticism, but I quite like these.

The two-thirds of an ounce size I got seem small for that. It says on the blurb that they're made of a special dense material, which I'm guessing is probably lead. In the old days, I'd probably have just given one a good whack with a hammer to see what they're made of, but they're £2.85 for three. 

Instead of using them with one of those fiddly safety clips, I'll probably just fish them off a run ring on my float leger rigs. Coupled with one of the ET floats I tend to use most of the time, I reckon the ounce size would be just right and probably better than most of the other weights I've used over the years.

I know a few companies make leads you can change without breaking your rig down, but having tried most of them they all seem to have their limitations. One variety had a habit of falling off when you were playing a fish. Another entailed messing around with bits of tubing to trap it in place.

Maybe these are the ones if you fish them off a run ring so you can change for a bigger weight if the wind gets up or the flow increases. Other than those zinc bombs which come in a range of weights but don't hold bottom very well because of their shape and lack of density, it's hard to find small weights which do the job.

Click here for more reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment